topbella

Thursday, February 10, 2011

My big sister

Bev has pretty much bared her soul and she was way too hard on herself.
Bev was like a big sister, a friend, a mother, and sometimes my arch enemy. But I always loved her and knew she loved me.
With mom working so much and a lot of times working nights, Bev pretty much took care of me. I still remember her washing my hair for me. (remember those cheap gallon jugs of creme rinse we used to use?)

She did take me everywhere with her and never made me feel like I wasn't wanted.
Well, except for the play incident......do you remember that Bev? I think it was you and Cindy Bean that played a trick on me and made me really sad.

I remember one year at Christmas, Bev had bought me a present and had it wrapped and under the tree. It was weird shaped and I was sooooo curious about what it was that I snuck and peeked. I can't remember if she actually caught me or if I was just feeling guilty and confessed. But I sure felt bad for ruining her surprise. I still remember the present clearly. It was a Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer book....cut out in the shape of Rudolph. I loved that book....wish I still had it. It meant so much to me that she still gave it to me after I was so bad.

My childhood memories are very faded.....Hosimotos at work.....but I have a ton of fond memories from our adult years.
The one that stands out the most? When she was my champion to Keith. She stood up to him when I was overwhelmed and she protected me and told him to leave me alone....and he did! I will always be grateful to her for that!! Precious times.....grandpa Wilkerson's funeral, our cruises, this last trip with mom's fall.

One thing that my sister has always done for me that has been such a blessing is that she shares her grandchildren with me like they were my own. That is so precious to me.
I love my sis and I am enjoying growing old together.

2 comments:

Jessica Jacobs said...

I love to hear everyones thoughts, this is so precious and rare!! Thank you Julee and Bri for starting this and everyone else for participating!

Beverly Hernandez said...

No I don't remember the play incident or the Christmas present. I do remember when you and Cheryl Bond hid in the dark and scared the living daylights out of me though. Blue dress, Denny's pantyhose. :)

Post a Comment